Tuesday, August 15, 2006

tarantula on my back deck!


This creepy crawler was (and still is, as of this moment) hanging out on my back deck. it's only HALF the size of the one that tried to get into the garage a few weeks ago though. Waverly, my 10 year old, found it there on her way in from school today and came running into the house screaming hysterically....which in turn freaked me out considerably, so much so that i was relieved to hear she had only seen a tarantula.


Now i have a huge fear of spiders....and have only encountered two large tarantulas since living in AZ but (and this is a big but) these don't seem to frighten me as much as other arachnids simply because they appear to be pretty slow so i have sufficient time to escape if needed. don't get me wrong, if one ever crawls ON ME i will have a panic attack, jump around like a lunatic and scream like a little girl. i have also taught this maneuver to my children! it's meant to invoke fear into the beast and scare it away...yeah right!

5 Comments:

Frivolitea said...

eeek!

dogfaeriex5 said...

gawd, i want to run just looking at it..wow, i didnt know they had those in AZ, where do live, close to the desert part( i know AZ is a desert, but you know what I mean) ick...

Kivett-Studio said...

Actually, we live in the "High Desert"....as you go up in elevation it's cooler. on average we are about 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. we have mountains, grassy rolling hills, pine trees...not at all what you would imagine as desert. Maybe I'll get out and take photos of my surroundings one of these days to share.

But yes we have desert creatures...my husband has seen many scorpions, luckily for me i have seen ANY since we moved here! We have roadrunners, giant jack rabbits, javelinas and all the bugs seem to be much much bigger here in AZ than anywhere else i've lived!

CheryLOL said...

I can't believe you got close enough to measure it!!! You are more woman than I am! LOL.

The bad Liz said...

Gods, I am sufficiently creeped out for the evening. Makes my quarter sized spider the other day seem like a baby.

Yes, I did kill it, and didn't even wake my husband.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr