We've had this dirty old chair and ottoman for about 11 years now...well it wasn't dirty when we first bought it but now it looks like it has seen better days. It was definitely time for a new look. One weekend we drove all over town with it in the back of my truck, from upholsterer to upholsterer, trying to get an estimate of what it might cost to have it recovered. The ball park figure was around $800 for fabric and labor! I was floored to discover that I could go out and buy a new chair for the same price of having my old one recovered. So I decided I would try my hand at doing it myself. and so here's a look at the project I've been working on this past few weeks....
I didn't really get a good BEFORE picture. I had already started ripping it apart when it occured to me that I should probably take pictures so I can remember how it goes back together. But you get the idea. The pink flowery shabby chic fabric no longer fit in with the rest of the living room...plus it had been abused for 11 years by the kids. I bought 10 yards (I think I overestimated by about 2 yards) of black/brown upholstery fabric and got to work.
Putting it back together wasn't even the hard part. the hardest part of the entire project was pulling out all the old staples. It went slowly and I had to be careful not to rip the old fabric since I would be using it as a pattern to cut my new fabric.
And here it is, not quite finished. I still need to put on the side, back and bottom panels, add the feet to the bottom. Reupholstery for beginners is certainly not for the faint of heart. It was very challenging but I enjoyed it so much that I have been pondering the idea of buying thrift store furniture to reupholster in super funky fabrics.
Now it's time for a new table cloth and new curtains! Oh and that green cup on the table is FILLED completely with old staples.