Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Faux Hot Chocolate


Recently there was a huge buzz around the net about the 5 minute microwave cake. I got several emails from friends passing on the recipe. I thought theywould make wonderful party gifts for the holidays . We decided to give it a try, only to discover that the cake was a little dry, slightly rubbery and overall was really lacking in the "mmmmmm, yummy!" department.


So, last weekend I did a local craft fair and decided that I also wanted to sell some baked goods....let's face it, everyone has a weakness for baked goods around the holidays. The cake in a mug concept was a super cute idea but it needed to be modified so that the cake would actually taste good and still be easy to make. For this I started with heavy ceramic mugs. Most mugs are labeled on the bottom if they are microwave/ dishwasher/ oven safe. The mugs I used did not say they were oven safe. I was a little worried about them cracking in the heat of the oven so I filled a shallow baking pan with an inch of water. I filled 12 ounce mugs 2/3 full with cake batter and set them into the water filled baking pan. I'm not much of a baker so I stuck with a tried and true boxed cake mix but you certainly could substitute your own from scratch recipe. Baked them at the recommended temperature from the box (in this case 350 degrees) for approximately 35 minutes. Slide a knife or toothpick all the way to the bottom to test for doneness. I frosted the top to look like a mug of hot chocolate, with chocolate frosting and a few mini marshmallows on top.


They turned out wonderful! The cake was super moist, just the way I like it! While everyone stopped to adore them, I only sold a few cake mugs at the craft fair. But all was good because in the end I got to take some home for myself......those people at the craft fair that didn't buy one don't know what they were missing!

4 Comments:

Pat Winter said...

Thanks so much, I must try this.I hope you did well at your show, I'm sure people were drooling over your fun things.
Hugs,Pat

The Lone Beader said...

What a great idea!

Kivett Studio said...

Thanks for the comments! I can't take credit for the idea but I think I did make some improvements...sometimes faster isn't always better.

Jewels said...

those DO look yummy! Easier to manage than hot chocolate while walking around at a show (I'm one of those people who just can't walk and drink at the same time...)